Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Story

Below is my background story and experience with Testicular Cancer:

Almost five years ago I was diagnosed with testicular cancer two weeks to the date after the birth of our first daughter, Macaila. I had a surgery to remove the tumor and then went out to Indianapolis to have a lymph node dissection by Dr. Foster at Indiana University. I have a pretty scar to show for my painful surgery. After a few months off work and lots of staples, I was declared cancer free and stayed that way for three years. In the meantime, we moved to South Carolina and had another little girl who is now three.
I had an oncology check up in June of 2007 and was declared healthy for the third year. The following September, I learned that my company, Countrywide, would be closing its office in Greenville and I would be losing my job. Unfortunately and fortunately I injured my back two days after learning my company was closing. My injury became increasingly painful, so much so I ended up with my wife, Jill, in the ER in the middle of the night. They did a CT scan expecting to find a kidney stone and instead found a mass. They sent me home with some good pain meds and told me to go to my oncologist first thing Monday morning.
On Tuesday morning we were able to get in to see my doc. He immediately said, this is probably cancer. We made plans to anticipate what would come, and after CT scans showing no spread beyond the mass, and a biopsy to confirm it was malignant, I was scheduled to begin chemo treatments for nine weeks beginning Sept. 24th, 2007 through the end of November of 2007. It was three rounds of three weeks of chemo. The first week of each round being five days a week, 4-6 hours a day. The second and third week was Tuesdays only for a shorter treatment. The chemotherapy experience was long, exhausting and difficult. It was difficult for me, my wife and those who helped support us through it. I had difficulties with IVs, nausea, vomiting, headaches, dehydration, fatigue (that doesn't even begin to describe it), weight gain, joint pain among other things. Nonetheless, I came out on the other side, healthy and ready to get back in the game. I am a year and a half out from the end of my chemo now, and excited about my future with my family. I start a new job on June 1, which will hopefully be a great opportunity for us.

3 comments:

  1. Brian,

    Great site and I am encouraged to see how much you have been through. You always give such a positive presence whenever I see you. Having just turned thirty and being part of the medical community, I know this issue is not one talked enough about. I really would like to see this site be a launch pad for men to get tested and not just push the idea aside. One of the most important things about cancer is catching it early, hands down. Unfortunately with prostate, it is not the most pleasant experience to have checked and not something you brag about to your buddies. Making more men aware about the truth behind "Why" is more important than "How" and will be a great challenge for this site. Keep the drive and you are living proof of someone greater walking in front of us guiding our steps even when we are not willing to just listen. Please let me know how I can help as this is an awesome site and great resource for more of us to learn about prostate cancer. Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about placing the wrong cancer in my post. Proof on how Testicular cancer is not on the forefront as a main issue for men. Still mean what I say about the issue as typed, just replace the words. Thanks. Kyle Firth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a healthy very active 25 year old hispanic male until 3-03-10 when i was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I'm still struggling with the fact I do have cancer, but taking things one day at a time and trying to stay positive. It started with me as an enlarged testical I didn't think much about. After about 2 months it was slowly getting bigger and i went to get it checked out. My Urologist did blood tests and ultrasound and my tumor marker score was a 14 and the tumor was encased in my right testical. I have had the tumor removed and the first biopsy results came back inconclusive and a second one was performed at Ohio State University and came back as Anaplastic Seminoma. They are performing another test and will be issuing an addendum to this within the next couple of weeks. I have had one CT scan which came back with no enlarged lymph nodes and healthy organs. I now have my first appointment with an Oncologists Dr. Monk at OSU. I would like to help increase the talk about early detection and just discussion of this topic in general. I enjoyed reading your story and I want to help support your reason for creating this blog.

    ReplyDelete