Thursday, May 31, 2012

What would I do different

My wife and I had a conversation with a couple last night that are going through their fight with testicular cancer. He’s already had a lymph node dissection, and is scheduled for an orchiectomy for this Friday. They know he will start chemo thereafter but not exactly sure of the schedule of when everything will start. In speaking with them it reminded me of all the things that I’ve spoken too in this blog and all of the things that I haven’t. So, I’m going to attempt to speak to some of those things over my new few entries. Hopefully, if you’re starting your fight you may have some more information that lets you know what’s coming down the pipe. Now remember that every battle is different and that everyone’s body reacts differently. So my experience may be different than yours but it doesn’t hurt to know the possibilities of what you may experience. The number one thing I would do over, or different, if I had to do it over again would be to ask, no BEG for a port! Now I’m not a person who likes needles to begin with so when my doctor told me that the treatment period was so short that a port would be overkill, I like most people took my doctors word for it. Now don’t get me wrong I love my doctor, but between the effects that took place with my veins and the total number of needles, there were some days that seemed like cruel and unusual punishment. Come November it will be 5 years since my last round of chemo. I’m finally starting to see some veins resurface in my forearms. The veins that used to reside on the inside of my arm at the elbow have been MIA since October 2007. They used to be beautiful veins, I would walk in to get blood drawn and the tech’s face would light up with just how easy their job was going to be. Now, they play, “Rock, Paper, Scissors” to see who has to try and find something that works. For the last almost 5 years the only place that’s been working regularly for blood draws have been my hands. Now I never had a port so I don’t know the pluses and minuses of a port, if you do have experience with one I’d love for you to comment and let us know. What I do know is that if you have a port you won’t have to sit and get stuck 9 times in one sitting letting them dig in your arm with a needle looking for a vein that they can use. The 9 times only happened a few times, but those days really suck! The biggest long term issue with the veins is you will have to continue to do CAT scans and other IV related activities throughout the course of your life, and for people who don’t deal with cancer patients regularly; I’ve found that they aren’t always the most talented at finding and hitting useable veins. If your phlebotomist is under the age of 30 be wary. I’m not saying they aren’t capable but you will want the most experienced person in that office working with you. I was able to stump the best at the offices I’ve visited over the last 5 years. Chemo nurses are typically the best I’ve been around. So for that Thank You!

2 comments:

  1. Going through chemo sucks in general but it shrinks your veins making it harder to draw labs among other things. I had a power port imbedded under my skin for a good 8 months. It never gave me problems and chemo always went well, but they wouldnt use it for blood draws.

    I also have jad three PIC lines. The first two were remove due to various complications. But the third worked fine and they drew labs from it as well as administered treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you, suggest a port. I don't have a port scar (vanity won in this case), but every time I have to get blood drawn I worry they can't get a vein. With only one good arm (breast cancer/lymph node dissection/leaves one arm unpoke-able). I have had two surgeries in which they had to use a vein in my foot (ouch). Save your veins!

    ReplyDelete